~Confessions of a Redneck Princess~

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Just Another Manic Monday.....


The otherwise prophetic Bangles had this one all wrong. Mondays aren't harried. They're about hitting snooze at least once if not twice, about finally dragging your sorry self out of bed when the dog puts his tail into your nostril. They're about procrastination and not having an ironed work outfit and most certainly about leaving the house lunchless. None of this happens quickly, however. It's a slow, agonizing process that reminds you with each failure that you aren't the Sex in the City character you thought you were. Carrie would never have left the house without earrings. Wearing a tutu with a tank top an electric blue boa, yes, but never without earrings.

I remember watching Mr. Mom as a young girl, Teri Garr dressed in blouses with large flowing bows at the neck, thinking just how cool it would be to get up every morning with a big city job waiting, even if it was at Schooner Tuna. I thought it would be fun to pick out a skirt and matching handbag the night before, to line up makeup on the dresser for perky morning application, to listen first thing to one of those cool FM radios that hung from the showerhead. Either that or participate in the testosterone jokefest that is every televised carpool. You know, the ones for which everyone is ready the minute their ride pulls into the driveway. Also? These people have driveways.

I'm clearly not cut from this cloth, and require 44 ounces of caffeine and radio that understands that Uncle Kracker ballads do not an inspirational morning drive make. I'm building up a tolerance to my usual efforts to revive, however, and am in search of some new ideas. Nothing illegal, of course, as A&E's Intervention has me worried I might be addicted to Ibuprofen. Something more mainstream, more doable, something that moves me to take the time to iron the cuter skirt, to try a new gloss, to straighten the hair the entire way around my head. Something, maybe, like another day off.

I'm so glad my life involves mornings started with Dr. Pepper out on my deck, sunrises, knowing I don't work in Corporate America, living out of the mainstream, and simply, having Mondays off!

No comments:

Post a Comment